Actualization Of Polysegmented Headings: Stylistic And Syntactic Aspect
The stylistic features of newspaper headlines began to arouse scientific interest from the 1920-30s. This interest has not diminished to the present, despite the rapid development of online versions of the vast majority of periodicals. Printed versions do not lose their relevance and originality. This article is devoted to the analysis of stylistic and syntactic techniques for actualizing segmented headings. The subject of analysis is the headlines in the newspapers Izvestia and Rossiyskaya Gazeta. The choice of reporting headings as the material of this study allows us to analyze in a new way the possibilities of stylistic techniques for actualizing certain structural patterns of headings. The basis of the study is formed by the continuous sampling method when selecting practical material from the publications we have selected for analysis, a descriptive linguistic and stylistic analysis method, as well as a quantitative and qualitative analysis method. The results of the study showed that multi-segment headlines are diverse in structure and are the most pronounced means of actualizing the newspaper headline. Based on the separability of the structural patterns of newspaper headlines, the most pronounced are the following lexical and stylistic techniques: parcellation; segmentation; reduced and segmented citation in order to preserve the subjectivity of the utterance with full journalism objectivity. Simple and at the same time unusual in their syntactic structure headlines are aimed at attracting the attention of the recipient to the news coverage.
Keywords: Header actualizationmonosegment headerparcellationpolysegment headerlinguistic manipulationsegmentation
One of the significant acts of speech influence in the media discourse is linguistic manipulation, the manipulation of public consciousness. The print press and its online version are a powerful means of controlling readership. Low-grade online notes, fake news distort real facts, but often have flashy, catchy headlines. “Recently, there has been a noticeable increase in propaganda support for the speakers of vernacular and primitive mass consciousness” (Kolmakova & Shalkov, 2018, pp. 61-64). This fact requires a reader of mass media literacy and the ability to distinguish fake news with flashy headlines from a quality electronic press. In this regard, a special role is given to the headings of journalistic texts, as they are always viewed by the audience. The reporter’s task is not only to create a memorable and intriguing headline, but also a competent approach to its structuring and stylistic expression.
Scientific interest is due to the close attention to the problem of speech influence on the consciousness of the masses and public opinion through online and print media. In this regard, the media discourse specifically addresses the issue of selecting and implementing effective techniques as headings so that they are multifunctional and structurally effective.
What allows full-heading newspaper headlines to be multifunctional (informative richness, linguistic and graphic expressiveness, attracting the attention of the reader)?
What methods of actualizing, based on the division of syntactic models of headings, are frequent and most acceptable in linguistic manipulation?
How do segmented statements (as the most frequent in the role of headings) help to realize the theme-rheumatic relationships and become as effective as possible in the speech influence on the readership?
How are stylistic devices (parcellation and individual types of citation) (less frequent in the role of headings) able to convey in the structural-semantic sense the objectivity of a statement with the utmost informative intensity?
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of this research is to consider the features of actualizing structural models - polysegments - as headings of analytical journalistic texts implemented in stylistic and syntactic techniques. Analysis of the structural features of the headline of newspapers is carried out in the following studies: Adyasova and Gridina (2017), Bagmanova (2013), Ezhova and Zamoznykh (2018), Makaruk (2018), Koçyiğit (2019), Terskikh (2020) and others (the speech influence of the headings of media texts on the minds of readers), Safonov (1981), Milovanova (2010) and others (structural, psychological and stylistic aspects), Lazareva (2006), Bogoyavlenskaya (2018), Shinelev (2019), Dementyev (2020), Kosyakova (2020) and others (structure of headings and their speech influence).
From the point of view of the typology of newspaper headlines (Lazareva, 2006), fully informative headings reflect a key idea / thesis, possess not only informative richness, but also sufficient expressiveness, attracting the attention of readers. This fact determines the search for an answer to the question regarding the systematization of polysegment structural models (patterns) implemented in certain stylistic and syntactic techniques with the aim of actualizing the headings.
An analysis of the techniques for actualizing polysegmented headings suggests that segmentation (the most frequent), parcellation, and citation are called upon to carry out the acting function.
Segmented statements of the general pattern (S1) (S2) - (thesis) (clarification / extension) in various modifications help to realize theme-rheumatic relationships, are structurally convenient for dividing the heading's thoughts, actualize the importance of the fact, psychologically hook the recipient and increase the level of trust.
Less frequent methods in the structural and semantic respect are parcellation and certain types of citation, but they contribute to the detachment of the journalist from the material, giving maximum objectivity, but at the same time leaves the right to select linguistic material.
The headings selected by the method of continuous sampling from Izvestia and Rossiyskaya Gazeta newspapers, socio-political and business publications for the period 2019-2020 served as the studied material and the definition of stylistic devices for actualizing segmented structural models.
The general corpus of the material in question amounted to 600 text units, which were taken equally from these publications.
The basis of the research is formed by the method of continuous sampling in the selection of the analyzed material, the method of descriptive linguistic and stylistic analysis, as well as the method of quantitative and qualitative analysis:
In an attempt to attract attention, as well as to create a bright and expressive headline, journalists use various methods of actualizing the heading with various linguistic means. Bogoyavlenskaya (2018), Safonov (1981), Shinelev (2019) and others believe that grammatical constructions play an important role in actualizing headings: they highlight key messages that are easily captured by the reader on an emotional level (Lazareva, 2006). Actualizing the heading is possible in a situation where the heading structure is adjusted to the specific target setting of the communicative utterance.
In the syntactic aspect, the following grammatical types of headings are distinguished (the basis of this classification is the number of segments - speech units that make up the structure):
As Safonov notes, polysegmented headings “have a distinct actual division, which allows you to highlight the theme (given) and the rheme (new) in the message” while maintaining the semantic and syntactic meaning of the words of the basic structures (Safonov, 1981, para 15).
The following actualizing techniques are distinguished, based on the division of syntactic header models.
Structural patterns that fit into S1. S2 are often introduced as a stylistic device - parcel. With the help of the point, the utterance is given the intonational and semantic completeness, but at the same time, the speaker’s zero rating in relation to the person / fact is noted.
The type S1 - S2 structure is represented by the heading “
3. An important role in actualizing the headlines is played by
As a rule, the media uses reduced (quoting a fragment of the source text without prejudice to the meaning) and segmented quotation (insert quotes, harmoniously integrated into the structural-semantic unity of the heading statement). As the practical heading of Izvestia shows, the reduced type of citation is presented in frequency (11%), segmented (6%) is somewhat less common, which is 17% in total, and there are 3% fewer examples in Rossiyskaya Gazeta. An example of a segmented type from Rossiyskaya Gazeta is the headline “
The results of the analysis of practical material using the method of quantitative and qualitative analysis and a continuous sample of language units (headings) were summarized in Table
Often, readers are limited to a superficial introduction to the title. The linguistic ingenuity of journalists allows encouraging reading of the main material through the formation of an “optimal communication environment without violating the criteria of the news genre such as capacity, conciseness, relevance, factuality, and correspondence to the target audience” (Shinelev, 2019, p. 83). The indicated criteria of a remarkable title can be embodied through stylistic-structural techniques. “The stylistic and structural-semantic components of the title serve as a prerequisite for the implementation of expressive, communicative, graphically-highlighting and appealing (acting) functions, in other words, a multifunctional title” (Kosyakova & Kolmakova, 2019, p. 312).
In the course of the study, it was found that the actualization of the heading structure of the utterance is expressed in certain schemes - multi-segment constructions, as the most pronounced and typical for the presentation of stylistic and syntactic techniques for updating newspaper headlines.
Segmented structures are a more frequent technique for the publications under study. In order to actualize the socio-political orientation of the material offered to the recipient with an orientation to the positive development of events, the most characteristic S1: S2 construction schemes are used. Thus, 72% of such structures were found in Rossiiskaya Gazeta, and 7% less in Izvestia, which is not critical in general.
Parcel constructions are equally represented in Izvestia and Rossiyskaya Gazeta. Separate headlines are distinguished by the imperativeness of lexical components that fit into the pattern of S1.S2, which gave reason to believe that there is some categoricalness in presenting the news event in individual publications.
In order to create an impartial, objective statement in the role of headline and preserve journalistic ethics, an important role is played by the citation method. Reduced and segmented citation is the most typical form of this technique, which is reflected to a greater extent in Izvestia, since journalists refer to it 3% more often than otherwise.
- Adyasova, O. A., & Gridina, T. A. (2017). Reklama kak tekst vozdeystviya: graficheskiy kod yazykovoy igry [Advertisement as a manipulation text: graphic code of language play]. Philological Class, 50(4), 37-43.
- Bagmanova, А. R. (2013). Gazetnyy zagolovok kak sredstvo rechevogo vozdeystviya [Newspaper headline as a means of linguistic manipulation]. Bulletin of Kazan State University of Culture and Art, 1, 1-3.
- Bogoyavlenskaya, Yu. V. (2018). Partsellyatsiya kak kognitivno-semioticheskiy fenomen [Parcellation as a cognitive semiotic phenomenon]. Bulletin of Tomsk State University, 55, 5-16. DOI:
- Dementyev, V. V. (2020). Zagolovki s tsiframi v Internet-media: lingvisticheskiye i paradigmaticheskiye kharakteristiki [Headings with numbers on the Internet media: linguistic and paradigmatic characteristics]. Bulletin of Tomsk State University Philology, 63, 5-27. DOI:
- Ezhova, E., & Zamoznykh, E. (2018). Communication strategies in public service advertising. In S. Shaposhnikov, & L. Sharakhina (Eds.), 2018 IEEE Communication Strategies in Digital Society Workshop (ComSDS) (pp. 15-18). Saint Petersburg Electrotechnical University “LETI”.
- Koçyiğit, M. (2019). New communication strategies and the future of advertising narration. In M. Koçyiğit (Ed.), Handbook of Research on Narrative Advertising (pp. 333-340). IGI Global.
- Kolmakova, V. V., & Shalkov, D. Yu. (2018). Osobennosti kommunikativnogo povedeniya v nachale XXI veka [Features of communicative behavior at the beginning of the XXI century]. Bulletin of Pyatigorsk State University, 4, 61-64.
- Kosyakova, Ya. S. (2020). Dinamika protsessa distinktnosti v sintaksise zagolovkov sovremennykh zagolovkov gazet (na materiale elektronnoy gazety «Zavtra») [The dynamics of the distinction process in the syntax of the headlines of modern newspaper headlines (based on the material of the electronic newspaper Zavtra)]. Modern Studies of Social Problems, 12(1), 105-122.
- Kosyakova, Ya. S., & Kolmakova, V. V. (2019). Polifunktsional'nost' sintaksicheskikh struktur zagolovkov novostnogo reportazha (na materiale zhurnala «Russkiy Reporter») [Multifunctionality of the syntactic structures of news reporting headlines (based on the material of the Russian Reporter magazine)]. Modern Studies of Social Problems, 11(5), 300-312.
- Lazareva, E. A. (2006). Zagolovochnyy kompleks teksta – sredstvo organizatsii i optimizatsii vospriyatiya [The title complex of the text is a means of organizing and optimizing perception]. Problems of Education, Science, Culture, 19(40), 158-166.
- Makaruk, L. (2018). Paralinguistic Devices as Mechnisms of Influence and Manipulation in Modern English Multimodal Advertising Discourse. Psycholinguistics, 23(2), 148-164.
- Milovanova, S. О. (2010). Gazetnyy zagolovok kak sredstvo aktualizatsii smysla [Newspaper headline as a means of updating the meaning]. Izvestia of Tula State University: The Humanities, 1, 368-372.
- Safonov, А. А. (1981). Stilistika gazetnykh zagolovkov [Newspaper headline styling]. http://media.utmn.ru/library_view_book.php?chapter_num
- Shinelev, A. V. (2019). Structure of title complex in news media discourse. Scientific Dialogue, 6, 72-84. DOI:
- Terskikh, M. V. (2020). Typology of strategies of communicative influence in the discourse of social advertising. Scientific Dialogue, 4, 72-84. DOI:
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
About this article
Cite this paper as:
Click here to view the available options for cite this article.