Page updated: March 2023
- What information we might collect about you
- How we might use that information
- When we might use your details to contact you
- What information of yours we might share with others
- Your choices about the personal information you give us
when you use our services, such as when you visit our website at www.europeanproceedings.com or any website of ours that links to this privacy notice or engage with us in other related ways ― including any sales, marketing or events.
2. What we do to protect your personal information
We are strongly committed to keeping your information safe. To do this we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after your information security and privacy.
At the same time, no service can be completely secure – if you have any concerns that your account or personal information has been put at risk, for example if someone could have found out your password, please get in touch straight away via email@example.com.
3. Where we store your personal information
The headquarters of our business partners is in the northern side of Cyprus (Free Zone area). Some companies that provide services to us also run their services from outside the UK or the European Economic Area (EEA).
Our servers are located in Falkenstein, Germany and Helsinki, Finland. Backups are stored in Malta. All backups are encrypted before transferring. Please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed by us in our facilities and by those third parties with whom we may share your personal information in other countries.
Keep in mind that when you give us personal information it could be transferred to, stored or processed in a location outside the UK or EEA.
4. What types of information we collect about you
1. Information you give us
We collect information that you give us such as when you create an account, register for conference audience and/or submit an abstract for publishing. The personal information we collect may include the following:
- Name and surname
- E-mail address
We also collect personal information that you voluntarily provide to us when you express an interest in obtaining information about us or our products and services, when you participate in activities on the services, or otherwise when you contact us.
2. Information automatically collected
We automatically collect some technical information from your devices (your computer, mobile phone, tablet) and web browsers even when you’re not signed in to an account. This might include:
- Log and Usage Data. Log and usage data is service-related, diagnostic, usage, and performance information our servers automatically collect when you access or use our Services and which we record in log files. Depending on how you interact with us, this log data may include your IP address, device information, browser type, and settings and information about your activity in the Services (such as the date/time stamps associated with your usage, pages and files viewed, searches, and other actions you take such as which features you use), device event information (such as system activity, error reports (sometimes called "crash dumps"), and hardware settings).
- Device Data. We collect device data such as information about your computer, phone, tablet, or other device you use to access the Services. Depending on the device used, this device data may include information such as your IP address (or proxy server), device and application identification numbers, location, browser type, hardware model, Internet service provider and/or mobile carrier, operating system, and system configuration information.
Location Data. We collect location data such as information about your device's location, which can be either precise or imprecise. How much information we collect depends on the type and settings of the device you use to access the Services. For example, we may use GPS and other technologies to collect geolocation data that tells us your current location (based on your IP address). You can opt out of allowing us to collect this information either by refusing access to the information or by disabling your Location setting on your device. However, if you choose to opt out, you may not be able to use certain aspects of the Services.
3. Information collected from other sources
We may collect limited data from public databases, marketing partners, social media platforms, and other outside sources including Google analytics and Newsletter platform.
In addition, when you sign in via OrcID, we collect your OrcID number.
In order to enable us to provide relevant marketing, offers, and services to you and update our records, we may obtain information about you from other sources, such as public databases, joint marketing partners, affiliate programs, data providers, social media platforms, and from other third parties. This information includes mailing addresses, job titles, email addresses, phone numbers, intent data (or user behaviour data), Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, social media profiles and/or URLs. This is for the purposes of targeted advertising and event promotion.
4. Information on how you use our services
Like the articles you read.
5. How long do we keep your personal information
Unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law (such as tax, accounting, or other legal requirements), we only hold your information for as long as we need it to do the activities we told you about or if we have a valid reason to keep it, described in this policy.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize such information, or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
6. How to review, update or delete the data we collect from you
You can always request us to delete your account via sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep in mind we might keep anything you submitted to us based on the publishing agreement.
To request to review, update, or delete your personal information, please send an email to email@example.com.
7. How do we use your information
We may use your information to:
- Deliver our services and to provide you with information about them
- Facilitate account creation and authentication and otherwise manage user accounts
- Send you emails with news, offers and promotions
- Deal with your requests, complaints and enquiries and request feedback
- Personalize your experience and our marketing communications or otherwise deliver targeted advertising to you (For more information see our Cookie Notice.)
- Show you advertising on our services and to understand how effective it is
- Market our products and services to you on social media
- Help us understand what kind of services you might use
- Recommend things we think might interest you
- Send administrative information to you
- Contact you about various things
- For security and fraud prevention, and to comply with law.
8. When do we use your information to contact you?
We will only contact you when we need to or when you’ve given us permission. We might use your information to contact you:
- to update you on any changes to our policies;
- to contact you about an abstract you submitted;
- to send you our newsletter;
- to answer you when you’ve contacted us, or to respond to a comment or complaint;
- to invite you to take part in surveys about our services;
- for marketing purposes;
- to send you notifications on your device depending on your settings;
We’ll never contact you to ask for your account password.
We'll only send you marketing emails or contact you about our events, services and newsletter, if you've agreed to this.
You can unsubscribe from our marketing and promotional communications at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link in the emails that we send, replying “STOP” or “UNSUBSCRIBE” to the SMS messages that we send, or by contacting us using the details provided in the section "HOW CAN YOU CONTACT US ABOUT THIS POLICY?" below. You will then be removed from the marketing lists — however, we may still communicate with you, for example to send you service-related messages that are necessary for the administration and use of your account, to respond to service requests, or for other non-marketing purposes.
9. When and with whom do we share your personal information?
Vendors, Consultants, and Other Third-Party Service Providers:
We may share your data with third-party vendors, service providers, contractors, or agents who perform services for us or on our behalf and require access to such information to do that work. We have contracts in place with our third parties, which are designed to help safeguard your personal information. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal information unless we have instructed them to do it. They will also not share your personal information with any organization apart from us. They also commit to protect the data they hold on our behalf and to retain it for the period we instruct. The categories of third parties we may share personal information with are as follows:
- Ad Networks
- Affiliate Marketing Programs
- Cloud Computing Services
- Communication & Collaboration Tools
- Data Analytics Services
- Data Storage Service Providers
- Finance & Accounting Tools
- Government Entities
- Order Fulfillment Service Providers
- Payment Processors
- Performance Monitoring Tools
- Product Engineering & Design Tools
- Retargeting Platforms
- Sales & Marketing Tools
- Social Networks
- Testing Tools
- User Account Registration & Authentication Services
- Website Hosting Service Providers
We also may need to share your personal information in the following situations:
- Business Transfers. We may share or transfer your information in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company.
- Affiliates. We may share your information with our affiliates, in which case we will require those affiliates to honor this privacy notice. Affiliates include our parent company and any subsidiaries, joint venture partners, or other companies that we control or that are under common control with us.
- Business Partners. We may share your information with our business partners to offer you certain products, services, or promotions.
- When you make something public. When you share personal information or otherwise interact with public areas of the Services, such personal information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly made available outside the Services in perpetuity.
- Legal necessity. Sometimes by law we have to pass on your information to other organisations. We might also share your information if we have to by law, or when we need to protect you or other people from harm.
10. Your rights
You have the right to:
- request a copy of your information;
- to request an update of your information;
- to request erasure of your information;
- to request that we only use your information for certain purposes;
- to withdraw consent (For example, unsubscribing from any marketing emails or turning off ad-personalisation);
- to restrict the processing of your personal information;
- to data portability (if applicable).
You can make such a requests by contacting us by contacting us via firstname.lastname@example.org. We will consider and act upon any request in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
However, we may retain some information in our files to prevent fraud, troubleshoot problems, assist with any investigations, enforce our legal terms and/or comply with applicable legal requirements.
Please also note that withdrawing your consent will not affect the processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
11. Information from minors
We do not knowingly solicit data from or market to children under 18 years of age. By using the Services, you represent that you are at least 18 or that you are the parent or guardian of such a minor and consent to such minor dependent’s use of the Services. If we learn that personal information from users less than 18 years of age has been collected, we will deactivate the account and take reasonable measures to promptly delete such data from our records. If you become aware of any data we may have collected from children under age 18, please contact us at email@example.com.
12. Legal Basis
We only process your personal information when it is necessary and we have a valid legal basis to do so under applicable law. We may rely on the following legal bases to process your personal information:
- Legal or contractual obligations
- Legitimate interests
- Vital interests
13. Cookies and other tracking technologies
14. Updates to this policy
We may update this privacy notice from time to time to stay compliant with relevant laws. The updated version will be indicated by an updated "Revised" date and the updated version will be effective as soon as it is accessible. If we make material changes to this privacy notice, we may notify you either by prominently posting a notice of such changes or by directly sending you a notification. We encourage you to review this privacy notice frequently to be informed of how we are protecting your information.
15. How can you contact us about this policy?
If you have any questions, comments or requests under this policy, you can contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.