The problem of research consists in search of ways, methods and technologies of organization of psychology- pedagogical support for process of family self-determination of student's youth in the conditions of university educational environment. The purpose of the study: to identify psychology-pedagogical conditions for family support of self-determination of student’s youth and to develop the program of development of family self-determination of young men and girls in the educational environment of the university. The program of a subject matter "Psychology of Family Self-Determination" is characterized and is presented by the following system characteristics: purpose, tasks, methodological approaches, principles, components, areas of work, technologies, criteria of efficiency, summary of thematic occupations. Some experimental study was organized and conducted for an assessment of efficiency of this proposed program. There were Used the method of semantic differential, developed by Charles Egerton Osgood, the questionnaire “A Value and Availability Ratio in Various Vital Spheres Technique” by E.B. Fantalova, a projective technique "Incomplete Sentences", “A Purpose-in-Life Test” by D.A. Leontiev, mathematical-statistical methods of data processing, including calculation of descriptive statistics, Shapiro–Wilk test calculation, Student's t-test for dependent samples, non-parametric Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test. Positive dynamics in such indicators as values of marriage and family relations making an image as I -a family man, motives of marriage, idea of temporary prospect testifies that psychology - pedagogical support within studying of the presented course contributes to the development of family self-determination of student's youth.
Keywords: Family self-determinationpsychology- pedagogical supportstudent’s youth
In Russia processes of a nuclearization, replacement of a family centrism with an egocentrism, reorientation of the population from values of long-term marriage, a family with several children, on the values reflecting aspirations of people towards individual achievements in the extra family sphere of activity, and first and foremost, is to achieve high social and professional status, the intended unwillingness of spouses to have children – "child-free", "delayed parenthood", destruction traditional functional and hierarchical family structure, the growing number of dysfunctional families, increasing in quantity of illegitimate births, development of such alternative forms of monogamy family as the actual marriages (unregistered cohabitation), consecutive polygamy (multiple marriages), families with step- parents, "Godwin - marriage" (separate and regular), bigamy marriages (male and female bigamy). The negative phenomena in marriage and family areas lead to distorted representations of modern youth about value and maintenance of family life. It is a particularly actual problem of creating a concept of preparing young people for marriage and family life in these circumstances. To speak about premarital education as a systematic impact on younger generation for the purpose of preparation and inclusion in the marital relationship, identity formation of the family man is legitimate.
Previously we presented a model of psychology-pedagogical support of the development of family self-determination of students, which is characterized by unity of purposes and objectives, focus on gender and age characteristics and personal development of young men and girls (Merzlyakova, 2015). In this article we present the results of the formative experiment aimed at the development of family self-determination of student’s youth.
The object of the research is a family self-determination of modern student’s youth.
The subject of the research was psychology - pedagogical conditions of optimization of process of family self-determination of student's youth.
The hypothesis of the study: psychology-pedagogical support promotes development of family self-determination of student’s youth.
3.1. To develop a program of psychology-pedagogical support of development of family self-determination of student’s youth.
3.2. To evaluate the effectiveness of the proposed program by means of a pilot study.
Purpose of the Study
5.1. For diagnostics of substantial and structural characteristics of family self-determination we used the method of semantic differential developed by Charles E. Osgood, the questionnaire “A Value and Availability Ratio in Various Vital Spheres Technique” by E.B. Fantalova, a projective technique "Incomplete Sentences", “A Purpose-in-Life Test” by D.A. Leontiev.
5.2. When carrying out an analytical stage we used math-statistical methods that allowed us to establish reliability of results of our research. All calculations were performed by means of the computer program IBM SPSS Statistics 21. The analysis joined Descriptive Statistics, Shapiro–Wilk Test Calculation, Student's Test for dependent samples, non-parametric Wilcoxon Signed Rank Test.
6.1. The subject matter "Psychology of Family Self-determination" is an elective course. The subject matter is taught to the students of full-time department of the faculty of psychology and faculty of additional professional education of Astrakhan State University.
The purpose of the subject matter “Psychology of Family Self-determination" is the software of optimal psychology-pedagogical conditions for the development of family self-determination of students, preparation of student's youth towards marriage and family relations.
The methodological basis for the development of psychology-pedagogical model of development of family self-determination of students made some positions of the system, age-psychological, activity-based, personal focused approaches. In accordance with the system approach the model is under construction as an organized structure reflecting interrelations between individual components of family self-determination, which make up the whole one. In accordance with age-psychological approach (L. S. Vygotsky, D. B. Elkonin, O. A. Karabanova) adult (parents, teacher, and psychologist) introduces an "ideal form" of a modern family, and it is created a space for activity, aimed at adopting and mastering the new social position of a family man by means of contemporaries (classmates, friends). Activity approach (A. N. Leontiev, D. B. Elkonin, P. Y. Galperin) suggests the organization of teacher's active training and professional activity of students through a variety of interactive methods: project activities, trainings, role-playing and business games, etc. The personal focused approach is reflected in the fact that the interaction with students is based with regard to their sex, nationality, religion, the nature of parent-child relations and individual personal characteristics, which are identified in the result of the diagnostics.
On the basis of the mentioned above methodological approaches, we determined the principles for the development of family self-determination of student’s youth: humanitarization, subjectivity, developing and personal focused orientation of training, active involvement of the nearest environment of the individual in extracurricular activities. The principle of humanitarization allows to build teaching and educational process as a purposeful study of the cultural and historical nature of a family, family traditions, customs, rituals in Orthodoxy and Islam, saturation of ideas about the value of marriage and family relations having universal interest. The principle of subjectivity assumes a humanistic type of relationship between participants of educational process, which is possible when creating an atmosphere of psychological safety and comfort, simulating a situation of success in the classroom and in extracurricular activities. The principle of developing and personal focused orientation of training allows the student to learn himself during diagnostics, to define their own personal potential, when planning the trajectory of individual development (life script) to take into account their psychological peculiarities. The principle of active attraction involving the nearest social environment of students in extracurricular activities (construction of a family genosotsiogramma, family tree, and diagnostics of parent-child relationships) is determined by the leading role played by a family in the process of family self-determination of young men and girls.
Forms of psychology-pedagogical support are: psych diagnostics, education, correctional and developing work, consultation, and cinema therapy, interactive methods (trainings, role-playing and business games, a projective method).
Effective unit is represented by the criteria that allow carrying out an assessment of different components of family self-determination. The criteria for the effective implementation of the model of psychological and pedagogical support are the positive dynamics of development of family self-determination in students assuming achievements "realized and reached" type of family self-determination, and also psychological readiness for marriage and family life.
The complex of lessons in subject matter "Psychology of Family Self-determination" was developed within our research. The heart of the complex is training material concerning education of family psychology, marital and parent-child relationship. Here is a short description of the content of each lesson.
At the first lesson the students get acquainted with the system of ideas about the psychology of family self-determination as the section of family psychology. There is a primary diagnostics of content and structural characteristics of the family self-determination of students.
The topic of the second lesson is
The definition of the terms "family" and "marriage" are represented at the third lesson
The concept of family self-determination is examined at the fourth lesson
The theme of the fifth lesson is
Interpretation of love in classical psychoanalysis (Freud), neopsychoanalysis (C. G. Jung, K. Horney, E. Fromm), ego psychology (E. Erickson), humanistic psychology (A. Maslow, K. Rogers), existential psychology (R. may) are studied at the sixth lesson
The theme of the seventh lesson
The phylogenetic preconditions of parenthood, historical and sociocultural specificity of parenthood, modern picture of parenthood are studied at the eighth lesson
The basic characteristics of parent-child relationships are discussed at the ninth lesson
The subject of the tenth lesson is «
6.2. The objective of the experiment was to evaluate the effectiveness of the program of the discipline "Psychology of Family Self-determination." To solve the set tasks were used the following mathematical-statistical methods of data processing, including calculation of descriptive statistics, Shapiro-Wilk’s criterion, Student's criterion for dependent samples, non-parametric Wilcoxon test. All calculations were performed using the computer program IBM SPSS Statistics 21.
Using the criterion Shapiro-Wilk, we checked the normality of distribution of quantitative variables. It was established that the distribution of the variables of my past, my mother, my future, love, happiness, my future family, process, success, my family, marriage, I am a master/mistress, my father, my future, I am a future wife, security, sex, significantly different from normal law. For quantitative variables with normal distribution was used Student’s criterion for dependent samples, in other cases it was used the Wilcoxon test. We can see from table
We organized and conducted an experimental study on identification of psychology-pedagogical conditions of maintenance of family self-determination of student's youth. There were used such techniques as the method of semantic differential developed by Charles E. Osgood, the questionnaire “A Value and Availability Ratio In Various Vital Spheres Technique” by E.B. Fantalova, a projective technique "Incomplete Sentences", “A Purpose-In-Life Test” by D.A. Leontiev. Distinctions at the level of the statistical importance are revealed in such components of family self-determination as values of the matrimonial relations (a parental family, love value, attitude towards own family, attitude towards future marriage partner, attitude towards oneself, attitude towards future children, the rights and obligations of spouses), components of an image of I as a family man (I – an image, I’m a host/ a hostess, I’m a son/a daughter), marriage motive achievement of success, ideas of temporary prospect (my past life, my present life). The pilot study showed that the program of a subject matter "Psychology of Family Self-Determination" proved to be effective.
- Asmolov, A.G., Asmolov, G.A. (2009). From We-Media to I-Media: Identity Transformations in the Virtual World. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 2, 101-123.
- Batarchuk, D.S. (2014). The Specificity of the Russian Civic-cultural Identity of Students. Akmeology, 2(50), 60-69.
- Batarchuk, D.S. (2017). The Problem of Interethnic Youth Relations in Multiethnic Educational Environment. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 237, pp. 1589-1592.
- Chernyshev, A.S., Gaidar, K.M. (2010). Social Determination of Subjects in the System of Modern Education. National Psychological Journal, 2(4), 112-117.
- Ginzburg, M.R. (1994). The Psychological Content of Personal Self-determination. Questions of Psychology, 3, 43-53.
- Golubeva, M.G., Ilyaschenko, Yu.V. (2013). Personal Compromise as a Way of Resolving and Preventing Family Conflict of the Differing Views on the Mutual Needs of the Spouses. Socio-Humanitarian Problems of Modernity: Individual and Society. Book 1: Monograph (pp. 118-140). Saint - Louis, Missouri.
- Karabanova, O. A. (2006). Psychology of Family Relations and the Basis of Family Counseling: Textbook. M.: Gardariki.
- Karabanova O. A. (2010) Social Situation of Child's Development - The Key Concept in Modern Developmental Psychology. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 3, 130-153.
- Karabanova, O. A. (2016). Parent-child Relationships as a Factor of Professional Self-identity in Adolescence and Young Adulthood. the Moscow University Herald. Series 14. Psychology. 3, 54-61.
- Karabanova, O.A. (2015). Positive Parenting – a Path to Cooperation and Development. Pedagogical Education in Russia, 11, 157 – 161.
- Karabanova, O.A., Molchanov, S.V. (2017). Family Factors in Shaping Parental Attitudes in Young Students at the Stage of Entering Adulthood. National Psychological Journal, 2, 92-97.
- Klimov, E.A. (2005) Psychology of Professional Determination. Moscow: Academy Publ., 304 p.
- Merzlyakova S. V. (2015). Model of Psychology-pedagogical Support of Family Self-determination Development of Student’s Youth. In the World of Scientific Discoveries, Series A., 1(3), 121-134.
- Merzlyakova, S.V. (2014). A Children-parent Relationships as a Condition of Formation of the Family Self-determination of Youth. In the World of Scientific Discoveries, Series A., 2(2), 38-51.
- Merzlyakova, S.V. (2016). Sociocultural Determinants of Modern Youth’s Family Self-determination. Modern Research of Social Problems, 11(67), 123-135.
- Merzlyakova, S.V. (2017). The Individual Dynamic Characteristics of Temperament as a Factor in the Development of Family Self-determination of Boys and Girls. Herald of Chelyabinsk State Pedagogical University. 4, 124-130.
- Merzlyakova, S.V. Bibarsova, N. V. (2017) Ethno-cultural Identity as a Factor of Formation of Family Self-determination of Students. Modern Research of Social Problems, 11(8), 98-116.
- Orestova, V. R., Karabanova, O. A. (2005). Methods of Identity Research in the Concept of Statuses of an Ego-identity of J. Marsia. Psychology and School, 1, 39-50.
- Prjazhnikov, N.S. (2017). Guidance Methods in Psychological “Spaces” of Self-determination. National Psychological Journal, 3, 144-150.
- Razina, N.V. (2014). Attitudes to Motherhood in Different Cultures. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 8(2), 93-104.
- Vorobieva, A.E., Akbarova, A.A. (2015). The Analysis and Perspectives of Studying Basic and Special Types of Self-determination According to A.L. Zhuravlev’s and A.B. Kupreichenko’s Concept. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 8(4), 46-59.
- Zakharova, E. I. (2014). Psychology of Development Parenting. M.: IPD MSRU.
- Zakharova, E. I. (2015). Development of Parental Positions as the Trajectory of Age-related. Psychological Development in Adulthood Pedagogical Education in Russia, 11, 151-156.
- Zinchenko, Yu. P., Zotova, O. Yu., Tarasova, L. V. (2017). Specifics of Interpersonal Trust among People with Different Gender Identities. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art, 10(2), 134-148.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
About this article
28 February 2019
Print ISBN (optional)
Pedagogy, education, psychology, linguistics, social sciences
Cite this article as:
Merzlyakova*, S. V., & Golubeva, M. G. (2019). The Development Of Family Self-Determination Of Student’s Youth. In S. Ivanova, & I. Elkina (Eds.), Cognitive - Social, and Behavioural Sciences - icCSBs 2018, vol 56. European Proceedings of Social and Behavioural Sciences (pp. 395-403). Future Academy. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2019.02.02.43