The article is devoted to the study of dynamic processes in the content of the German concept
Keywords: Conceptthe nominative field of the conceptfamilyGerman linguistic culture
Concepts as mental correlates of linguistic units are subjected to dynamics: their content changes in the same way as the semantics and the form of their linguistic signs (Burenkova, 2015). The semantic development of a concept, word formation or derivation of the linguistic elements are determined by changes of the displayed objects and phenomena in the surrounding reality. As a consequence, the concept is rightly interpreted as “a dynamic volume, enormously dependent on the state of society, a social situation” (Popova, 2007). This feature of the concept determines the necessity of reconsideration to the seemingly studied material, a new consideration of concepts, which are already described in the linguistics.
This explains the author's attention to the
The concept Familie is considered to be one of the key concepts of any culture, since the family, being a unit of society and an indispensable condition for the continuation of the human race, plays an important role in the culture of each people. However, the content of this concept varies with the time in the conditions of a developing society, that is reviewing and overestimating many, including traditional and seemingly unshakable norms and values. After the study of possibilities in the representation of the concept Familie G.A. Gunashova comes to the conclusion about the change of “value orientations from traditional family blood parameters to the parameters of partnership and personal preferences” (Gunyashova, 2007). The author also notes, in particular, the tendency to “abandon traditional parameters that make up the family for many centuries – marriage, union for life, the union of a man and a woman and their traditional sexual and social roles in the family” (ibd., p. 11). As a consequence, the complex approach to the study of family norms and values and their transformations in modern society remains an urgent research problem.
Indeed, the traditional and fairly common understanding of the family sometimes does not correspond to the real life practice of some people. In modern society other forms of people's life together have spread and they deviate from established ideas about the family (two generations and two sexes, marriage, sibling connections of family members and joint housekeeping). According to the professor of sociology Norbert F. Schneider (Federal Agency for Civic Education, Germany) such the models are: unmarried families with children, same-sex couples who live with the children of one of the partners, single mothers or single fathers, childless couples who can live separately, but take care of each other (Was ist Familie? …
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of the study is to describe the dynamics in the content of the concept
The main research methods are: the method of analyzing vocabulary definitions, the method of comparison, the descriptive method.
Diachronic analysis of the materials of German dictionaries allows to state changes in the definition of family, namely the process of semantic generalization or expansion of the meaning of the concept name. Compare the dictionary definitions of the lexeme
1.a) aus einem Elternpaar u. mindestens einem Kind bestehende Gemeinschaft:
1.a) aus einem Elternpaar
The reference dictionary system of the German language in history and modernity (das Wortauskunftssystem zur deutschen Sprache in Geschichte und Gegenwart=DWDS) offers the user the next definition of the word
Despite the fact that the definition of
The linguistic corpus of the German Language Institute OWID defines the family as a group of persons who are relatives through birth or marriage:
Indeed, the researchers of family today regard 74 possibilities of coexistence. According to statistics, there are 12 million families in Germany, herewith the family is considered as a household in which parents and children live together
About 12 000 parents represent same-sex unions
Neologisms of the nominative field of the concept
The change in family relations is evidenced by the neologisms of the Noughties, which have replenished the nominative field of the concept
the neologisms of the tenth years:
OWID drafters point out that the word
Comparing the data of ideographic dictionaries of the German language (Dornseiff, 2010; OWID <(Kollokationen)>; Wehrle/Eggers, 1967), it is possible to suggest some changes in the nuclear part of the nominative field of the studied concept. Thus, many predicates included in the articles
A separate aspect of the study is a comparison of the nominative fields of the concept
Thus, the conducted research allows to draw a conclusion from the volatile nature of the key culture concepts. The reasons for the dynamics of the concept
The analysis corroborated the semantic generalization of the concept name, i.e. expansion of its semantics. The study of the German lexicographic materials testifies to the replenishment of the nominative field of the concept with numerous neologisms representing new family forms, the redistribution of roles in the family, and the revision of traditional relationships within the family.
A study of the concept
- Berkov V.P. (2003) Kak my zhivem. Posobie po stranovedeniju dlja izuchajushhih russkij jazyk / V.P. Berkov, A.V. Berkova, O.V. Berkova. – Saint Petersburg: Zlatoust, 2003.
- Bundesverfassungsgericht für drittes Geschlecht im Geburtenregister // Zeit online [Electronic resource] // URL: http://www.zeit.de/gesellschaft/zeitgeschehen/2017-11/bundesverfassungsgericht-fuer-drittes-geschlecht-im-geburtenregister(last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- Burenkova S.V. (2015) K voprosu o dinamike konceptov (na primere nemeckih konceptov ORDNUNG i SICHERHEIT) // Voprosy Kognitivnoy Lingvistiki. – 2015. – № 4 (45). – P. 30–38.
- Dornseiff F. (2010) Der deutsche Wortschatz nach Sachgruppen. – 8. Auflage / F. Dornseiff. – Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter, 2010.
- Duden (1996). Deutsches Universalwörterbuch. – 3. Aufl. – Mannheim: Bibl. Institut, 1996.
- Duden (2001). Deutsches Universalwörterbuch. – 4. Aufl. – Mannheim, Leipzig, Wien, Zürich: Dudenverl., 2001.
- Duden online [Electronic resource] // URL: http://www.duden.de/(last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- DWDS=Das Wortauskunftssystem zur deutschen Sprache in Geschichte und Gegenwart [Electronic resource] // URL: https://www.dwds.de/ (last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- Exhibition “Inclusion” (2017) // Museum Universum. – Bremen, 2017.
- Gunyashova G.A. (2007) Koncept FAMILIE v nemeckoj jazykovoj kartine mira (na materiale tekstov normativnogo i publicisticheskogo diskursov): avtoref. dis. … kand. filol. nauk: 10.02.04 / G.A. Gunyashova – Barnaul, 2007.
- OWID=Online-Wortschatz-Informationssystem Deutsch [Electronic resource] // URL: https://www.owid.de/index.jsp (last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- Popova Z.D. (2007) Kognitivnaja lingvistika / Z.D. Popova, I.A. Sternin. – Moscow: AST «Vostok-Zapad», 2007.
- Sem'ja // Vikipedija [Electronic resource] // URL: https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%B5%D0%BC%D1%8C%D1%8F(last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- Sergeeva A.V. (2017) Russkie: Stereotipy povedenija, tradicii, mental'nost' / A.V. Sergeeva. – Moscow: Flinta, 2017.
- Shchegolikhina Ju.M. (2015) Koncept FAMILIE v lingvokul'ture rossijskih nemcev Sibiri: avtoref. dis. ... kand. filol. nauk: 10.02.04 / Ju.M. Shchegolikhina. – Tver, 2015.
- Was ist Familie? Eine Frage von hoher gesellschaftspolitischer Relevanz // Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung [Electronic resource] // URL: http://www.bpb.de/politik/grundfragen/deutsche-verhaeltnisse-eine-sozialkunde/138023/was-ist-familie (last viewed on 24.01.2018).
- Wehrle/Eggers (1967)=Wehrle, H., Deutscher Wortschatz. Ein Wegweiser zum treffenden Ausdruck / H. Wehrle, H. Eggers. – Stuttgart: Ernst Klett Verlag, 1967.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
About this article
30 April 2018
Print ISBN (optional)
Sociolinguistics, linguistics, semantics, discourse analysis, translation, interpretation
Cite this article as:
Burenkova, S. (2018). Study Of The Dynamics Of The German Concept Familie. In & I. V. Denisova (Ed.), Word, Utterance, Text: Cognitive, Pragmatic and Cultural Aspects, vol 39. European Proceedings of Social and Behavioural Sciences (pp. 608-613). Future Academy. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2018.04.02.87