Behavioral And Communicative Component In The Activities Of Authorized Police
One of the most important indicators of the status of authorized police profession is its prestige, that is, the assessment of the attractiveness of this profession both in the eyes of public opinion and in the eyes of the police themselves. Under modern conditions increasing the prestige of the district police service commissioners is becoming a state-wide task, the solution of which relates primarily to both the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia and society, the state as a whole. A special role belongs to state structures of the federal and regional levels, local authorities, public institutions. In this regard an attempt based on analysis of a number of sources and experience of the certain regions activity of the Russian Federation is made to summarize the reasons that adversely affect the prestige of the district police officers service and conversely to offer a number of legal and organizational measures aimed at increasing the prestige of the district authorized police. The suggestions are based on the moral and material components provision of the rating system which significantly affect the prestige of the local police authorized service. Particular attention is paid to the work of personnel departments of the internal affairs bodies in the selection of candidates for filling vacant posts of district police officers.
Keywords: Communicative behaviourpublic orderpublic trust
The service of precinct police commissioners always remains the core of crime prevention and protecting the rights and freedom of citizens despite the optimization and modernization of the structure, administrative structure, and staffing of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (Dzhemelinsky, 2015).
In the minds of people who turn to the local police and need help, there is an idea that they will protect it; they will settle the arisen problems qualified and fairly as soon as possible (Wilson, 2003). If this does not happen, then the destruction of the authority of a single police officercomes, the authority of the police and, as a result, the authority of state power. A district police officer is the one who is often the first to respond to statements and reports of crimes, administrative offenses, and incidents. According to the results of the activities of this service, a significant part of the population has an idea of the police. And the better the result of this activity is, the higher is the prestige of the service and the confidence of the population in the police. Trust is the background condition for the existence of many phenomena of social interaction (Makarova, 2011).
The concept of public trust should be considered as a socio-political phenomenon, i.e. as the attitude of the whole society to its separate social group – the police, due to the need to determine the most optimal form of interaction to achieve socially significant goals (Decree of the Government of the Belgorod Region …).
The development of specific measures aimed at increasing the prestige of the service of district police officers is associated with the need to determine circumstances that significantly affect the attractiveness of the profession of the district police officer and the effectiveness of its activities (Wolf, 2008).
Thus, one of the most important indicators of the status of a district authorized police profession is its prestige, that is, an assessment of the attractiveness of this profession both in the eyes of public opinion and in the eyes of the police themselves.
It is recognized in economically developed states that high authority and also the prestige of public service should be built on the basis of a combination of a high level of material incentive and active external control (state, public) (Trychenkov, 2015). In this regard the situation in our country has some specifics; it is characterized by the insufficiently effective system of public service propaganda and the development of human resources for it.
Improving the prestige of district police officers institute is not an easy task, having an all-Russian character. Its decision is connected with the realization that it is facing not only the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, but also society and the state as a whole. A special role here belongs to state structures of the federal and regional levels, local governments, public institutions.
Today the system of assessing the profession of the district-authorized police consists of two components – moral and material. The moral component is of particular significance and consists of the level of respect, “status”, recognition by the public and the police themselves the importance of this activity type (Repyev, 2013).
When serving in their administrative area, the district police officer uses preventive conversation as a form of preventive exposure.
When conducting a preventive conversation, the district police officer explains to the person in relation to whom individual crime prevention measures are applied, his moral and legal responsibility to the society, the state, the social and legal consequences of continued antisocial behavior.
Traditional opinion survey indicates that in the eyes of the public, a public servant should be honest, non-corrupt, conscientious (Afonina, 2019; Vasilieva & Vozzhenikova, 2017).
In addition, decency, nobility, kindness, closeness to the people, concern for people, as well as intelligence and education are among the essential features of his personality. Among other requirements there is responsibility, commitment, experience, competence, patriotism, determination. As you can see, the main requirements for personal characteristics are moral, relate to the nature of a person and his behavior. This fully applies to the image of the precinct police officer.
During the preventive bypass of the administrative section, the district police officer pays special attention to the information obtained, including visual observation, communication with citizens, and requesting information. He visits residential premises in order to communicate and establish mutual trust with their owners and other citizens living in them, and also gives business cards to citizens and representatives of organizations located on the territory of the administrative section (Titarenko, 2015).
In our opinion, measures aimed at increasing the prestige of the service of district police officers should include:
The service of the district authorized police is connected with the need for the employee to have deep specialized knowledge in the field of administrative, criminal, criminal procedure, civil and other branches of law, as well as in the field of forensic science and psychology. It is this knowledge that can be obtained today mainly in the educational organizations of the system of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia. At the same time, a significant number of the district police officers are graduates of civil educational organizations.
District police officers daily deal with the most painful and dangerous manifestations of a human nature – family conflicts, alcoholism, drug addiction. The risky nature of the activity, communication with the criminal world –and a number of other circumstances adversely affect the candidate’s decision to be or not to be a local police officer.The activities of the police officer are strictly regulated.There is an increased responsibility (up to criminal) for deviation from the norms and violation of the rights of persons participating in joint legal relations (Galieva, 2016).
The service of district police officers characterized by a wide range of powers in the field of public order protection is diverse which requires the presence of certain personal qualities of the police officers (including those mentioned above), without which it is impossible to carry out a difficult daily painstaking analytical work often associated with physical and mental overload.
Purpose of the Study
Literature, theater, visual arts, cinematography, animation had positive results in the formation of a positive image of an employee of the internal affairs bodies during the Soviet stage of development of our society, that cannot be said about the present. Weak attempts to increase the authority of the service are opposed by an unprecedented volume of information (we mean primarily Internet resources), which contains examples of dishonest performance of official position abuse by police officers. Despite the fact that there are not many such examples, they are actively discussed in the media sphere and attract the attention of the general public. In the course of the work the analysis of possible directions of increasing the attractiveness of the local police authorized service was carried out, the analysis of the theoretical and legal foundations of this unitfunctioning, on the basis of which recommendations to improve this activity were developed
Awareness of the district authorized police profession importance in the field of public order protection is the reason for the initiatives emergence in the regions aimed at increasing the attractiveness of the service. So, in Belgorod region, a decree of the Government of Belgorod region dated March 11, 2019 No. 103-pp “On approval the contest organization “The best district police officer of Belgorod region”and “The best district police station of Belgorod region” (Yudina et al., 2016) was issued. Undoubtedly, this is one of the steps towards reformatting public opinion, the opinion of police officers themselves about the service of district police officers. When studying measures aimed at increasing the prestige of the district police officersservice, as well as the behavioral and communicative component in the activity of this unit, a complex of theoretical and practical methods was used (studying and analyzing regulatory legal acts, scientific literature and practical experience of employees of internal affairs bodies, logical and comparative methods).
Considering the opinions of experts in the field of ensuring the protection of public order, you should pay attention to other proposals (legal and organizational):
1. To organize meetings of representatives of regional mass media with district police officers in the framework of the campaign “One day with the district police officers”, tested in many constituent entities of the Russian Federation; coverage of meeting results in regional media.
2. To ensure the periodic publication of reports in the regional media, conduct radio broadcasts, specially organized television broadcasts reflecting the specifics of work of the district police officers, the importance and significance of their contribution to law enforcement and security, and the role in resolution of specific situations for the prevention and suppression of crimes and other offenses, the identification and solving the crimes.
3. To create a special system of external differences between district police officers and representatives of other services and units of the Internal Affairs Bodies. For example, how this is done in relation to the uniform of employees of the State Inspectorate for Road Safety of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia (State traffic inspectorate). An additional measure may be the provision of precinct police officers with official vehicles, which would be based solely on providing the services of precinct police officers.
4. To develop a design and make a badge “The best district police officer” by state authorities of a particular region, ensure its presentation to the winners of the contest “The best district police officer”.
5. To increase the professional competence of district police officers and candidates for filling the posts of police officers by:
improving the quality of the educational process in educational organizations that train specialists for internal affairs bodies, using the positive experience of training specialists for internal affairs bodies in universities of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia; unification and coordination of common efforts in this direction;
organization of internships, trips to official missions of district authorized police officers to law enforcement agencies of neighboring countries and (or) to the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia of other constituent entities of the Russian Federation for the exchange of experience in the service of protecting public order and combating crime, studying, introducing and disseminating positive experience management.
6. When implementing the Decree of the Government of Belgorod Region dated March 11, 2019 No. 103-pp “On approval of the contest organisation”,“The best district police officer of Belgorod region”and “The best district police station of Belgorod region”(similar documents in other regions of the country), rewarding the winners competitions held in a festive atmosphere with the participation of the public, students of educational organizations engaged in the training of specialists for the internal affairs bodies, with a wide coverage of the ceremony in the regional media.
7. When selecting candidates for filling vacant posts of local authorized police officers, the personnel divisions of the territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia should identify persons seeking illegal enrichment by using the status of a public servant. Suppress the appointment of such persons to their posts. Give preference to truly educated employees, oriented to high achievements in professional activities, harmoniously combining personal interests and the interests of society and the state.
8. To increase the role of religious organizations in the moral and ethical education of district police officers through close cooperation with educational organizations and territorial bodies of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs. To inform the public through the media about the forms of common activities.
9. To consider the issue of exclusion regional television channels from the broadcasting system which are financed from the federal and (or) regional budgets, cinematographic works, television programs, discrediting the service in the internal affairs bodies of the Russian Federation in general and the local police authorized service in particular.
10. To increase the effectiveness of the law enforcement structures functioning (territorial bodies of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia, the prosecutor's office, the court) for the prevention of corruption crimes committed by district police officers, to ensure the inevitability of punishment for committing illegal actions.
The professional competence of police officers today has become the subject of independent research by some authors (Dadaeva & Kostromkina, 2016; Guillamón, 2011; Koblov, 2012).
Thus the implementation of these proposals combined with the improvement and development of the system of material incentives for district police officers, social guarantees, and the solution of financial and economic issues will raise the prestige of the district police officers' service to a new level. A high level of prestige can be achieved only through harmonization of cultural and ethical rules, values, and standards of conduct adopted in Russian society with those that operate among local police officers.
- Afonina, E. G. (2019). The tactics of actions of district police officers to ensure public order and public safety during public events. Sci. Herald of the Orel Law Instit. of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russ. named after V. V. Lukyanova, 2(79),7–11.
- Dadaeva, T. M., & Kostromkina, K. A. (2016). Factors in the formation of public opinion on the work of local police (for example, Saransk). Regionol., 2, 137–146.
- Decree of the Government of the Belgorod Region dated 11 March 2019, no. 103-pp “On approval of the provisions on the contests «The best district police officer of the Belgorod region” and “The best district police station of the Belgorod region” Official Internet portal of legal information. http: // www. pravo.gov.ru, 03/13/2019.
- Dzhemelinsky, V. A. (2015). Actual issues of improving planning in the activities of the district authorized police. Society and law, 2(52), 238–243.
- Galieva, R. D. (2016). The culture of communication of the authorized police during interaction with citizens. A training manual. Barnaul: Barnaul Law Instit. of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russ.
- Guillamón, M. D. (2011). The electoral budget cycle on municipal police expenditure. Europ. J. of Law and Econ., 36(3), 447–469.
- Koblov, F. C. (2012). Communicative competence and communication culture in the performance of a police officer. Pedag. Psychol. Soc. work. Juvenol. Sociokinetics, 4, 79–82.
- Makarova, M. N. (2011). Features of the perception of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in the public opinion of the region. Monitor. of public opinion, 1(101), 64–70.
- Repyev, A. G. (2013). The activities of the local police authorized service during the reform of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia: historical, legal and applied aspects. Bull. of the Voronezh Instit. of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russ., 3,203–206.
- Titarenko, A. P. (2015). Public trust in the police as a factor contributing to individual preventive work with citizens. Tomsk State Univer. Bull., 393, 167–170.
- Trychenkov, A. A. (2015). Improving the prestige of the state civil service. Legal problems of strengthening Russian statehood. Coll. of articles. Tomsk, pp. 17–20.
- Vasilieva, I. V., & Vozzhenikova, O. S. (2017). The image of a policeman in the public mind. Jurisprud. and law enforcement pract., 3(41), 183–191.
- Wilson, J. M. (2003). Measurement and association in the structure of municipal police organizations. Policing: an Int. j. of police strategies & manag.,2(2), 276–297.
- Wolf, R. (2008). An analysis of factors affecting the implementation of small municipal police agencies: an open-systems approach. Amer. J. of Criminal Justice, 33(2),177–192.
- Yudina, T. N., Bondaletov, V. V., Mazaev, Y. N., Bormotova, T. M., & Yakovlev, O. V. (2016). Rural precinct police officers: public confidence. Bull. of the Volgograd State Univer., 4(34), 119–128.
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
About this article
Cite this paper as:
Click here to view the available options for cite this article.