Conditions Of Educational System Implementationin Pedagogical Higher Education Institution Socio-Cultural Environment
The article reveals pedagogical conditions, relevant mechanisms, effective combinations of activities and interaction in the socio-cultural environment of a pedagogical higher education institution. It emphasizes the necessity to form values, cultural basis, qualities and characteristics, socio-cultural experience. The analysis shows the insufficient development of effective conditions for the educational systems implementation, taking into account regional peculiarities of the university. As the conditions for the educational system implementation, the authors characterize leading directions of the systemic educational process, determinants and patterns of the system implementation, personality-and-activity, competence and culturological approaches to the directions, interrelations and peculiarities of pedagogical interaction of the main subjects in the educational process and the laws of institutional interaction (at state level),the ideas and values of the Bologna Process, being the basis for defining the educational work tasks in a modern university. Intellectual, communicative, legal culture are represented as the most important components of personal general culture. As meaningful organizational conditions for actualizing the academic disciplines educational potentiality, the authors highlight and characterize interactive educational methods; purposeful pedagogical assistance by creating a value world picture in the minds of students, future graduates, specialists, members of society; pedagogical correction of ideological values and attitudes; students’ leisure activities orientation; pedagogical support method for a student’s personality development and the facilitative style of interaction; project activities. The article presents the implementation, effective activities, risks and ways to overcome them within the implementation at State Educational Institution of Higher Education in Moscow Region "State University of Humanities and Technology".
The relevance of the research into the effectiveness of the educational system implementation in the socio-cultural environment of a pedagogical higher education institution as one of the stages of a holistic team – and – personality forming process at a higher education institution is due to the necessity to form values, cultural basis, qualities and characteristics, social and cultural experience in future teachers’ minds. The educational system interacts organically with a number of correlating psychological, pedagogical and organizational conditions, relations, actions and phenomena in the relationships "head of educational institution-teacher", "teacher-teacher", "teacher-student", "university-society".
As a result of the destruction of the integrated complex educational and instruction system that had formed in the 1950s-80s at all the institutional levels (family, school, out-of-school institutions, higher education institutions etc.), entertaining and recreational events began to predominate in educational and instruction activities of universities. In modern conditions, it is necessary to increase in an appropriate way the number of interactive events within the framework of the development of competencies which are noted in the Federal State Educational Standard of Higher Education and are the basis for implementing the ideas of teacher training. The issues of the educational system implementation in the context of a pedagogical higher education institution are analyzed in the works (Araujo & Arantcs, 2009; Glushenkov, 2016; Gorshkova, 2018; Kalimullina, 2017; Мanea, 2014; Neverov, Andreeva, & Andreeva, 2018; Nurgaliyeva, Muchkin, Soltanbaeva, Sakenov, & Shakhmetova, 2014; Shepherd, 2018; Yustus, 2018).
Despite a fairly extensive study of the problem, the issues of developing effective conditions for the implementation of educational systems, taking into account regional specificities and characteristics of the university, remain insufficiently studied.
1. To reveal the pedagogical conditions for the educational system implementation.
2. To identify the relevant mechanisms affecting the effective implementation of the educational system.
3. To determine the conditions for effective interaction in the socio-cultural environment of a pedagogical university.
4. To present the experience of implementation at the State Educational Institution of Higher Education in Moscow Region “State University of Humanities and Technology” (GGTU).
Purpose of the Study
To identify relevant mechanisms; pedagogical conditions; combination of educational activities affecting the success of the educational system functioning in the socio-cultural environment of a higher education institution.
In the course of the study, a complex of theoretical and empirical methods was used: analysis and synthesis, generalization, forecasting, modeling, observation, generalization of experience.
The conditions for the effective educational system implementation include interrelated blocks and correlate with the identified factors:
• leading directions of the systemic process of instruction and education, due to the features and functions of modern young people socialization (pedagogical assistance and pedagogical influence in terms of the implementation of the adaptive and value-setting functions of socialization);
• determinants and patterns of the system implementation, personality-and-activity, competence and culturological approaches to the educational system construction at a higher education institution;
• directions, interrelations and peculiarities of pedagogical interaction of the main subjects in the educational process at the university, as well as the laws of institutional interaction (at the state level);
• the ideas and values of the Bologna Process, which are the basis for defining the tasks of educational work in a modern university; the correlation, in this regard, of the value core and the educational process directions with a student’s behavioral characteristics and personal traits , formed on the basis of the competence approach and defined as a graduate's “behavioral success strategies” in the study;
• the most important components of the personal general culture (intellectual culture, communicative culture, legal culture, etc.) recognized as factors for the specific content and directions of the educational work system at a higher education institution.
The actualization of the socio-cultural environment educational potentiality at a higher education institution is primarily associated with the ideas of acmeology in education, which recognizes the content of the subject, the methods and techniques of studying the educational material, as well as the influence of a teacher’s personality as leading factors.
Being the main activity of students, the academic process is designed to provide to a large extent their education and instruction. The course of training should contribute to the formation of not only the future specialist, but also the future conscious citizen, patriot, active member of society. The context of learning is associated with the assimilation of the theoretical and practical basis of the discipline, the understanding of its significance for the future profession and self-development; with the formation of a certain relationship to the scientific and value basis of existence regarded within the discipline. One of the most important areas in this type of activity is the formation and correction of the world picture in a student's mind.
Modern Russian and foreign scientists (Chan, 2016; Gibbs & Taylor, 2016; Gorshkova, 2018; Howard, Hitz, & Baker, 2000; Plewka, 2009; Thompson, 2017; Тimokhina, Gorshkova, & Yusupova, 2018; Yustus, 2018) as a rule, consider that the understanding of the world picture is linked to the three main aspects:
1) the system of knowledge that determines further the position and activity of a person;
2) the phenomenon of value – and –cognitive unity, which, reflecting the world in consciousness, is the most important element of productive thinking;
3) the understanding of the world picture as a synthesis of knowledge and value systems formed on its basis.
In this regard, as a part of the study, the necessary organizational and pedagogical condition for the actualization of the educational potentiality is the purposeful pedagogical assistance to the formation by means of creating a value world picture in the mind of a student, a future graduate, a specialist, a member of society, as well as the pedagogical correction of ideological values and attitudes.
The study of scientific literature and our own long-term experience in the high school have shown that a technologically successful implementation of an educational system depends on:
• the development of special problems and situations;
• the inclusion of each student in the active study, analysis, understanding of the scientific and socio-cultural experience of the mankind, expressed in the knowledge;
• the formation of students' skills of critical information analysis, public presentation and justification of their views;
• focusing students' attention on the most important subject and activity-orientated, moral and spiritual qualities and characteristics of eminent scientists, personalities that are significant in the context of the development of one or another field of scientific knowledge.
In this regard, the use of interactive methods and forms of training by the teacher can be considered as significant organizational and pedagogical conditions for the actualization of the educational potentiality of academic disciplines. This factor contributes to a more conscious understanding of knowledge, “appropriation” of values (norms, explicitly and implicitly) that are relevant for the intended (simulated, predicted) professional situation.
Another important organizational and pedagogical condition for the actualization of the educational potentiality of academic disciplines is the use of the method of pedagogical support for the upbringing and development of the student’s personality, as well as the facilitative style of interaction.
Using the method of pedagogical support, the teacher builds up the educational process space, creates conditions for the individual to generate an internal impulse to the realization of certain spiritual and moral constants, self-positioning in the system of values and attitudes, gaining new social and cultural experience.
The next important condition for the educational system implementation in the socio-cultural environment of a pedagogical higher education institution is the orientation of students’ leisure activities. The present understanding is connected both with the modern socio-cultural situation, the pace of the information society development, and with the recognition of the importance of leisure in the modern young man’s life, the formation of his spiritual and moral values, the development of specific qualities and skills - in general, the realization of creative potentiality.
These are leisure activities that contribute to the implementation of the competence and culture-correlating components of the pedagogical process (in terms of the civic competencies development and the improvement of the individual’s general culture components) at the emotional level of mediocre participation and interest. In the context of active upbringing and education, the creative and aesthetic components of the pedagogical process are implemented, which implies holding all sorts of contests related to the promotion of healthy lifestyle, the improvement of the environmental situation in the region, the social - targeted assistance development in their district, city, region, etc.
An interesting, successfully implemented experience at the State Educational Institution of Higher Education in Moscow Region “State University of Humanities and Technology” (GGTU)was the creation of promotional films and commercials. Students take part in an active joint discussion of modern films and books, on the basis of which such value concepts as patriotism, civil duty, morality of relationships are mastered not only at the cognitive, but also at the emotional level. In this case, the ideological values acquire personal meaning for students and, passing through joint emotional experiences and joint creativity, turn into their beliefs as the guiding motives for their actions and deeds.
A significant organizational and pedagogical condition successfully implemented on the territory of Moscow Region is the active use of social, historical, patriotic, environmental and humanitarian projects in the framework of cultural and leisure activities.
Extensive opportunities for effective (efficient) education and instruction are associated with project activities, as they contribute to the development of important personal qualities of future teachers: autonomy, civic and social initiative, creative understanding of such categories as "civic consciousness", "personal participation", "personal responsibility" etc. The purpose of project activities is an independent “comprehension” by students of various environmental, social, economic, socio-cultural and other problems, which are meaningful in our life.
Summarizing the pedagogical experience in the use of project educational activities in GGTU, we can note the following types of group projects:
• research projects in which students identify the problematic field of activity in patriotic, historical, cultural, environmental, social and other sphere, determine ways of solution, required resources, the final goal and the planned (ideal) results, make their proposals to achieve the goal and result;
• creative projects aimed at building a model for the implementation of any aspect in patriotic, historical, cultural, environmental, social and other activities; presentation of the model (project), participation in its specific implementation;
• informational (introduction-oriented) projects that involve collecting all the information about an object or a phenomenon; doing the analysis and synthesis of the facts, as well as detecting the views of various layers of the student audience, etc.
It is clear that this division of project activities types in educational work can be considered as conditional, but the fact that the creative joint participation in such activities, as well as the creationof its specific product (project) and, if possible, its implementation with the help of an adult community, remains the best upbringing factor of the modern youth, which has been repeatedly emphasized by a number of modern researchers.
In this regard, we also recognize the importance of making a special creative and developing educational environment at the university in the framework of the systemic educational process. In this regard, the implementation of a constructive organizational, methodological institutional relationship of all the subjects of educational activity is a significant component of the educational work system at the university.
The creative and developing educational environment at a pedagogical university as a mandatory condition for the educational system implementation is considered by the scientists [...] in the context of the totality of elements surrounding a future teacher in the socio-cultural environment of a higher education institution and affecting the process of his education, development and socialization. Such a developing environment correlates, first of all, with the formation of a positive attitude towards the organization of educational activities at the university among all teachers and responsible persons, the use of humanistic forms of pedagogical communication with students, the constant analysis and correction of own educational methods by a teacher himself (reflection).
At the same time, special attention should be paid to the creation and support of an atmosphere of interest in the effectiveness of educational work,a kind of emotional recovery and responsible attitude at the university. The positive emotional coloring of every educational event, every meeting, performed rituals, introduction of traditions, etc. is important.
Recently, the realization of the spiritual and moral potentiality of religion has become increasingly attractive in the context of solving the problem of young people education. This direction is successfully implemented at State Educational Institution of Higher Education in Moscow Region “State University of Humanities and Technology” (GGTU) in the specific interaction of the university and the church in various forms:
• conversations with priests,
• pilgrim trips,
• assistance in organizing Orthodox exhibitions,
• tea drinking with a discussion of certain problems
• watching and discussing religious videos, etc.
These forms make it possible to interact effectively, introducing students to the spiritual values and moral guidelines that will determine their life orientation for serving the common goals of the society and the country in the future: the feeling of kindness and mercy; mutual aid; self-criticism and temperance; the desire for self-improvement and self-development.
Spiritual and moral values form the inner core of the personality, and therefore have a beneficial effect on all the sides and forms of the relationship of a person with the world and the ethical development. At the same time, the increasing role of the church in this context of upbringing and education remains a currently debated problem.
In this regard, other important organizational and pedagogical conditions are as follows:
• the improvement of the microclimate and organizational and pedagogical culture at the university;
• the promotion of the subject-object and subject-subject constructive communication development;
• the tolerance of the pedagogical process subjects.
Considering them in more detail, it should be noted that the connecting link between the factors of external and internal order, which determine the content, direction and intensity of professional activity, is the conscious attitude of future teachers to the education in general. In this case, both classroom and extracurricular activities are of great importance. At the same time, in the socio-cultural environment of a pedagogical university, a special atmosphere is being formed, which is designated with the following terms in the scientific discourse: “microclimate”, “moral and psychological environment”, “social and psychological atmosphere”. The general meaning of these terms correlates with such group effects as the mood and opinion of the team, the understanding of the activity mission, the support and all-round assistance in realizing the main goals, the tolerant interaction, etc.
Within the framework of the theoretical research, we can assume that the situation in the team of the university that trains teachers should be characterized by:
• each team member’s awareness of his or her own role in solving common problems;
• levels of common interest or, conversely, their disunity, manifested in the teachers’ behavior and motivation for educational activities;
• arbitrary and involuntary reactions to organizational changes at the university;
• a system of established subject-subject relations.
In foreign studies (Howard, Hitz, & Baker, 2014; Nurgaliyeva et al., 2014), the concept of a microclimate in a team is often replaced by the term “organizational culture”. The researchers emphasize some specially created conditions that are realized in the socio-cultural environment.
The years of practical experience in the educational system implementation at the university, which trains future teachers for professional activities, showed the sides of work that are difficult to control and present certain predictable risks. First of all, it is the socio-cultural environment outside the university, which reflects a certain regional specificity.
Heads of educational institutions are not able to control this out – of - organization environment, and the main task is to adapt the organization to the external environment, therefore a great importance is attached to some situational factors within the organization. In this regard, within the framework of the study, we attach a great importance to the university managers’ actions to overcome the inertia of teachers, who evade educational work and consider it to be a sort of addition to teaching.
The lack of appropriate demands in the organizational, methodological and control - and - evaluation plan is a serious obstacle in creating a coherent educational system at the university. An important value within the considered component of the general educational system at the university is the purposeful, organic inclusion of the socio-cultural and administrative capacity of the district, city, region, correlated with the regional educational component of the Federal State Educational Standard of Higher Education, in the sphere of education. The effectiveness of the educational system implementation at the university for future teachers training is improved by:
• timely consideration of the specificity in the socialization of students;
• reliance on the modern educational paradigm concepts;
• implementation of educational activities in the context of the relationship of pedagogical categories such as “subject”, “team”, “environment”, “process”, “management”, “institutional interaction”;
• identification and description of level (categorical) criteria and indicators of the educational activities’ effectiveness at the present stage.
All the above-mentioned conditions imply the creation of joint integrated (academic and educational) measures modelling applied scientific, social, environmental, economic problems in the region, and the search for their solution in the educational space of a higher education institution. In this regard youth public organizations and student government bodies in which students take active part also play a very important role.
The components of the educational system implementation in the socio-cultural environment that are noted on the whole constitute the integral structure of a modern pedagogical university. The efficiency of its functioning is ensured by the complex interaction taking into account all the above-listed conditions: purposeful pedagogical assistance to the formation by means of creating a value picture of the world; widespread use of interactive educational methods and forms; the method of pedagogical support for the upbringing and development of a student’s personality, as well as the facilitative style of interaction; adjustment of the orientation of students’ leisure activities; active use of social, historical, patriotic, environmental and humanitarian projects, etc.
- Araujo, U, & Arantcs, V. (2009) The Ethics and Citizenship Program: a Brazilian experience in moral education. Journal of Moral Education, 38(4), 489 – 511.
- Chan, Y-K. (2016) Investigating the Relationship among Extracurricular Activities, Learning Approach and Academic Outcomes: A Case Study. Active Learning in Higher Education, 17(3), 223–233. Retrieved from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1469787416654795#articleShareContainer.
- Gibbs, J.C., & Taylor, J.D. (2016). Comparing Student Self-Assessment to Individualized Instructor Feedback. Active Learning in Higher Education, 17(2), 111–123. Retrieved from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1469787416637466#articleCitationDownloadContainer.
- Glushenkov, A.M. (2016). Patrioticheskoye vospitaniye studencheskoy molodezhi v sisteme vospitatelnoy raboty vuza [Patriotic education of students in the system of educational work of the University]. Conferenciumof ASOU: a collection of scientific papers and materials of scientific conferences, 2, 478-484 [in Rus.].
- Gorshkova, M.A. (2018). Rol funktsii kuratora v effektivnoy deyatelnosti vospitatelnoy sistemy v vuze [The role of the curator in the effective operation of the educational system in high school] In Modernization of education: scientific achievements, national and foreign experience. Proceedings of the XXV Ryazan Pedagogical Readings: in 2 volumes (pp. 226-230). [in Rus.].
- Howard R.D., Hitz R., & Baker L.J. (2000). Adequacy and allocation within higher education: funding the work of education schools. Educational Policy, 14(1), 145-160.
- Kalimullina, O.A. (2017). Problemy i puti resheniya v sisteme vospitatelnoy raboty sovremennogo vuza [Problems and Solutions in the system of educational work of modern high school]. In Technology of cultural and leisure activities as a factor for strengthening social, inter-ethnic and inter-religious harmony among young people: Proceedings of the All-Russian electronic scientific and practical conference (pp. 11-15). KazGIK [in Rus.].
- Мanea, A.D. (2014). Influences of Religious Education on the Formation Moral Consciousness of Students. Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, 149, 518.
- Neverov, A.P., Andreeva, S.M., & Andreeva, A.M. (2018). Vospitatel'nyye meropriyatiya v obrazovatel'noy sisteme universiteta [Educational events and activities at the university on the way to the system]. Alma mater (Herald of Higher Education), 7, 33-36 [in Rus.].
- Nurgaliyeva, A.K., Muchkin, D.P., Soltanbaeva, B.F., Sakenov, J.Z., & Shakhmetova, D.S. (2014). Civil education of future primary school teachers in the conditions of pedagogical higher education institution. SPEC. ISSUE, 4, 290-293.
- Plewka, C.Z. (2009). Uwarunkowania zawodowego rozwoju nauczycieli. Warszawa: Instytut Badań Edukacyjnych.
- Shepherd, S. (2018) Strengthening the university executive: The expanding roles and remit of deputy and pro‐vice‐chancellors. Higher Educ Q., 72, 40–50.
- Thompson, P. (2017). Communication Technology Use and Study Skills. Active Learning in Higher Education, 18(3), 257–270. Retrieved from: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1469787417715204#articleCitationDownloadContainer.
- Тimokhina, Т.V., Gorshkova, М. А., & Yusupova, T. G. (2018). Socio-cultural Environment of Inclusive Education: Integration of Research Positions. The Institute for Strategy of Education Development of the Russian Academy of Education.
- Yustus, T.V. (2018). Sistema vospitatelnogo protsessa v vuze v sovremennykh usloviyakh (na primere chuvashskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta imeni I.N. Ulianova) [The system of educational process in high school in modern conditions (on the example of Chuvash State University not the example of I.N. Ulyanova]. In Problems of Enlightenment, History and Culture through the Prism of Russia's Ethnic Diversity (on the 170th anniversary of the Chuvash Enlightener I.Y. Yakovlev): Collection of the All-Russian Scientific Conference with international participation (pp. 410-414) [in Rus.].
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
About this article
18 December 2019
Print ISBN (optional)
Education, educational equipment, educational technology, computer-aided learning (CAL), Study skills, learning skills, ICT
Cite this article as:
Timokhina*, T. V., Gorshkova, M. A., Yusupova, T. G., Eliseev, Y. V., Starikh, L. V., & Kalinina, I. G. (2019). Conditions Of Educational System Implementationin Pedagogical Higher Education Institution Socio-Cultural Environment. In & S. K. Lo (Ed.), Education Environment for the Information Age, vol 69. European Proceedings of Social and Behavioural Sciences (pp. 916-924). Future Academy. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2019.09.02.102