The rapid development of Internet marketing, the use of its techniques and methods for promoting media content, as well as its high advertising potential, determine the significance of this research. The problem of the choice of media promotion strategies in social networks is analyzed depending on the audience and its preferences. The study demonstrates the use of online tools to analyze the effectiveness of SMM. Media management is increasingly using SMM to achieve high results in reaching a targeted audience. This audience is defined using special Internet metrics. The relevance of the work is due to the challenges of modern information competition, the needs and demands of the audience, and new areas of media research. The purpose of the study is to analyze the unique experience of economically successful media. The promotion technologies used by «Znak.com» allow to study the successful forms of media management, to consider forms of content wrapping. The work of the media in social networks is considered with special diligence, the principles of integration are explored. Particular attention is paid to the process of optimizing the site. Strategies implemented by the leadership of the popular electronic media, allow you to constantly increase the audience and attract advertising, contribute to the further development of the media company and its credibility.
Keywords: Social networkspromotion strategiesmedia content
The rapid development of Internet marketing, the use of its techniques and methods for promoting media content, as well as its high advertising potential, determine the significance of this research. Social networks seriously compete with mass media in providing access to information and receiving news. According to a recent study by the analytical agency “We Are Social” and the largest SMM platform Hootsuite, the total audience of social networks in 2018 was 3,196 billion people. The competition of social networks with Internet versions of mass media is explained by the speed of information presentation, proximity to the audience and interaction with it, the possibility of prompting additions and editing. News on social networks are embedded in the user's entertainment feed and are served as convenient as possible. Proper distribution of mass media content has become a necessity (account management is a common practice), giving attention to needs and demands of the audience. The relevance of the work is due to the challenges of modern information competition, the needs and demands of the audience, and new areas of media research.
The problem of the choice of media promotion strategies in social networks is analyzed depending on the audience and its preferences. The study demonstrates the use of online tools to analyze the effectiveness of SMM.
The most important tasks for effective management of online media is promotion in social networks. This is a complex and complicated process, which includes knowledge of the audience, among which media content is being promoted, and mastering the technologies of such promotion.
Effective management is possible only with using “management technologies that optimize the management process itself and integrate management knowledge, relationships and creative activity into the whole” (Kirillova, 2008, p.24).
Among the activities of the media manager, researchers emphasize the analysis and organization of marketing activities carried out in the network (Kalmykov, 2005, p.89), as well as the ability to develop strategies (Daft, 2006) that would allow the most effective use of promotional channels.
Professor Vartanova (2003) in the monograph “Media Economics of Foreign Countries” says that “The competition in the advertising market grows with the appearance of new media and new media-resources. That produce careful study of all existing opportunities” (p. 46). According to the researchers, the principal problem is the optimization of the resource: “The optimal on-site organization of materials leads to a quantitative increase of statistical indicators (session length, depth of views, time on the site) and creates audience loyalty and supports the business model of the media-project” (Lukina, 2013, p. 34).
Purpose of the Study
The purpose of the study is to analyze the unique experience of economically successful media. The promotion technologies used by «Znak.com» allow to study the successful forms of media management, to consider forms of content wrapping.
A large group of authors explores methods of promoting media in social networks. Slugina (2015) comes to the conclusion that social networks are “the most promising type of marketing communications” (p. 133). Amzin (2016) analyzes the optimal material formats for various network platforms (p. 88). Beynenson (2016) explores the media promotion toolkit, the author notes that modern media “accept the rules of the game, dictate the available social networks and use the capabilities of their tools” (p. 240), Lapina-Krasotyuk (2019) explores the possibilities and prospects of network media promotion (Lapina-Krasotyuk, 2019), Panchenko (2019) draws attention to the integration of new media in the network infrastructure, D'yachenko (2019) determines media content types for promotion in networks.
Yermolova (2014), Mendelssohn (2014), Rumyantsev (2014), Senatorov (2016) consider the advantages of social networks when promoting media products. These authors identify and analyze various marketing strategies to promote the media. Gerasikova and Sinitsyna (2018) consider the problems of promoting goods and services in social networks, but their conclusions can easily be applied to media products.
From this point of view, forms for optimizing the media site and ways of network content promotion will be considered. To solve tasks, it is supposed to use the complex analysis of technologies and Yandex.Metrica.
6.1 Management strategies for media promotion on the Internet
The Internet newspaper «Znak.com» was created on December 3, 2012. The headquarters of the media is located in Yekaterinburg, its offices are in Moscow, Chelyabinsk, Kurgan, Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug, Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug and Tyumen. «Znak.com» journalists cover regional and federal events. The main themes of the site are politics, society, economics, business, culture, sports. According to Medialogia, «Znak.com» is in top 10 most cited electronic media in Russia. Modern media distribution involves two conceptual solutions:
1. The audience consumes content from the media site, while social networks send the traffic to that site.
2. The media is based on the social network’s platform or the instant messenger without having its own site. Consumption goes through the native social platform (Facebook, Twitter, VKontakte and others).
«Znak.com» uses the traditional and familiar to the audience concept (from site to network). Recognizable location (site) attracts various groups of visitors.
6.2 Using the Yandex.Metrica service to measure the audience
The possibilities of promoting online media are explored with the help of many tools. For example - free web service Yandex. Metrica,which allows you to analyze:
The site’s audience and visitor behavior;
The revenue and the site conversion;
The effectiveness of online and offline advertising;
Availability of the site and its speed.
Yandex.Metrica data answers to important questions.
How many people visited the online media site:
Number of unique users who visited the page;
Number of page loads. Moreover, one user can reload it several times during one session.
How the person used the Internet media site:
View depth - how many pages the user has viewed on average;
Session duration - the interval between the first and last viewing performed by the user on the site;
Bounce rate - the part of visitors who viewed one page and left the site.
Where users came from:
From search engines;
From social networks;
From partner sites;
From internal transitions.
Demographic characteristics of visitors;
Geographical data: the number of visitors from different regions and countries.
All these indicators can be divided into quantitative and qualitative. Qualitative indicators are more necessary for journalists to target content. They characterize the interest of the audience and other media in the created media product. Quantitative indicators are interesting for SMM specialists.
With the help of this service, the media manager can investigate the behavior of visitors on the media site using click-, link- and scroll-maps. A click map helps to assess site usability. A map of links helps count the number of clicks on the link and the proportion of clicks-on-the-link relative to clicks on other links on the page. The scrolling map shows the average time and the number of views of the particular part of the page. The web service Yandex.Metrica allows to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of promoting online media in social networks (SMM).
6.3 Website promotion "Znak.com"
For SMM promotion «Znak.com» created official accounts in popular social networks. Vkontakte, Facebook, Telegram, Twitter, Instagram and Odnoklassniki are considered the most popular social networks and messengers in Russia. As of January 2018, the average daily Russian audience of Vkontakte is 13 million visitors, Facebook is used by 6 million people, Twitter is 11 million users, the Odnoklassniki social network is visited daily by 42 million users. Materials are formed using the built-in network tools and adapt to the interests of users. Each of the news is accompanied by a small comment and an active link to the site. In addition, the user gets the opportunity to comment on the publication without site visiting and registration on that site.
Each social network has its own principles for the adaptation of materials. For example, for successful work in VKontakte, media account should have single-style design, catching non-verbal content, accompanying text, information uniqueness, prompt release of the announcement before the news, tight interaction with the audience and the right communication position. In particular, communication with the audience using media account raises its loyalty and activity.
New technologies of the VKontakte network track such activity and content quality. Data processing goes through three neural networks: “Prometheus” - analyzes content and sorts it by relevance, “Cerebro” is responsible for effective advertising, and “Nemesis” punishes for copied non-original content. In this regard, the VKontakte team recommends using more original content, offering clear instructions on the use of the internal tools of the site (stories, articles, downloading all materials to the platform, live broadcasts, etc.). All these techniques are actively implemented in the online newspaper Znak.com. In addition, the each page of the site «Znak.com» has widgets of all popular social networks. They allow the reader to share with friends a link to interesting news with just one click.
6.4 Internal website optimization "Znak.com"
Znak.com has a clear internal structure that optimizes content consumption. Materials are divided into nine major contributions - Russia, Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Kurgan, Tyumen, Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug, sports, rubrics.
For the convenience of users, eight of the nine thematic pages have the same design and color scheme. Only the “sport” tab stands out, which represents another part in the regional media market - news from the world of sports under the Znak.com brand.
For the convenience of users, publications on thematic tabs are sorted by relevance and weight category. So, on the pages of the regions (Yekaterinburg, Chelyabinsk, Kurgan, Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug, Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Tyumen), as well as in the “Sport” section, all publications are divided into three categories: weight 0 (information note), weight 1 (small journalistic material), weight 2 (analytics). In the "Russia" tab journalistic materials are published only with a weight of 1 and 2.
SEO optimization techniques are actively used. The media managers came to the conclusion that the subtitles of publications should correspond to the high-frequency queries in search engines as much as possible. For example, subtitles should be interrogative and begin with the words “how”, “what” and “why”, in the subtitle the tags are obligatory. Moreover, “Znak.com” uses news aggregators too. The significant part of the audience chooses the aggregator to reach the desired resource. Yandex.News is the excellent source of traffic to the site, the resource that is deservedly popular. The managers of Znak.com identified the list of requirements for materials, which allows publications to get into the news aggregators more often. For this there are rules:
1. "It is forbidden to duplicate previously published news or their identical parts."
2. "The title does not exceed 90 characters".
3. "The theme develops as depthly as possible".
Following the rules for the year increased the proportion of users who came to the site "Znak.com" from Yandex.News, by 10 percent.
6.5 SMM promotion "Znak.com"
“Znak.com” presents itself in all popular social networks: “Vkontakte”, “Odnoclassniki”, “Facebook”, “Twitter”, “Instagram”, “Telegram”. According to Yandex.Metrica, the total traffic from Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki, Facebook, Twitter for 2018 is about 4 million visitors.
Subscribers to “Znak.com” profiles in social networks are attracted by:
Facebook - viral advertising, viral videos, political news publications, the discussion of which provokes debate in the comment, the publication of resonant federal and world news.
2. Vkontakte - the publication of news of entertaining or local event character.
3. Odnoclassniki - publications impressive in terms of texts of a long-read nature.
4. Twitter - speed of publication of news and their number.
The announcement of news contains from one to three sentences and a link to the publication of «Znak.com». The announcement explains the significance of the event, enters into the event context, arouses interest, creates intrigue. The most important thing is that announcements produce the backbone of the traffic.
The “Znak.com” account in Instagram attracts and retains the audience by the following methods:
1. Posting is done at least three times a day. Posts are laid out when most of the subscribers are active. The audience of “Znak.com” in Instagram uses this social network from 3 p.m to 4 p.m., from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m., and also after 9 p.m. to midnight.
2. Forming a post corresponds to the principles that are native to this social network: 5-6 photos and 10-12 lines of text are laid out. It is assumed that users don’t scroll long materials to the end.
3. Every hour one or two “Znak.com” stories appear and become the first in the subscribers feed.
Promotion of “Znak.com” in social networks is based on the first (link to the site) concept. This concept is conservative, while successful, aimed at a particular demographic model of the user. The selected promotion format allows you to identify, shape and develop new needs of the audience. The concept of linking to the site allows you to attract and enhance the old audience and build a new one. The study of the media content promotion in social networks plays an important role. Practice shows that modern man has only a bit of time, so media compete for the attention of the audience with social networks, where content is quickly created and distributed by users themselves. The form of information transfer has become an interaction.
- Amzin, A. (2016). Osobennosti mediapotrebleniya [Media Consumption Features]. In Kak novye media izmenili zhurnalistiku [As new media was changed journalism] (pp. 86-101). Yekaterinburg: Gumanitarnyj universitet.
- Beynenson, V. A. (2016). Prodvizhenie SMI v social'nyh setjah: vozmozhnosti i problemy [Media promotion in social networks: opportunities and problems]. Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N.I.Lobachevskogo, 5, 239-243.
- D'yachenko, O. (2019, April 10). Rossiyskiye SMI v sotsial'nykh setyakh Facebook i v «VKontakte»: praktiki vzaimodeystviya [Russian media on social networks Facebook and VKontakte: interaction practices]. Mediaskop. Retrieved from: http://www.mediascope.ru/1615
- Daft, R. (2006). Menedzhment [Management]. Seriya «Klassika MBA», 34.
- Gerasikova, E. N., & Sinitsyna, Yu. A. (2018). Marketing v sotsial'nykh setyakh kak ploshchadka prodazhi tovarov i uslug [Social media marketing as a platform for selling goods and services]. Universum: ekonomika i yurisprudentsiya, 6(51), 2-4.
- Kalmykov, A. A. (2005). Internet-zhurnalistika [Internet journalism]. Moscow: UNITY DANA.
- Kirillova, N. B. (2008). Mediamenedzhment kak integriruyushchaya sistema [Media management as the integrating system]. Moscow: Akademicheskiy Prospect.
- Lapina-Krasotyuk, E G. (2019, April 1). Osobennosti novykh media [Features of new media]. Postnauka. Retrieved from: https://postnauka.ru/video/38005/
- Lukina, M. M. (2013). Internet-SMI: Teoriya i praktika. Uchebnoye posobiye [Internet-media: theory and practice education guidance]. Moscow: Aspect Press.
- Mendelssohn, B. (2014). Sotsial'nyye media - eto bred. Otkroveniya marketologa [Social media are a nonsense. Marketing specialist's revelations]. Moscow: Mann, Ivanov and Farber.
- Panchenko, E. L. (2019, April 2). Integratsiya internet-SMI i sotsial'nykh setey v Runete: novaya publichnaya sfera ili prostranstvo kontrolya [Integration of Internet media and social networks in RuNet: a new public sphere or control space]. Studies in Russian, Eurasian and Central European New Media. Retrieved from: http://www.digitalicons.org/issue05/egor-panchenko/
- Rumyantsev, D. (2014), Prodvizheniye biznesa v VKontakte. Bystro i s minimal'nymi zatratami [Advance of business in VKontakte. Quickly and with the minimum expenses]. Sankt-Peterburg: Piter.
- Senatorov, A. A. (2016). Bitva za podpischika VKontakte. SMM-rukovodstvo [Fight for the follower of VKontakte. SMM management]. Moscow: Al’pina Publisher.
- Slugina, U. N. (2015). Marketingovyye kommunikatsii v sotsial'nykh setyakh: problemy i perspektivy [Marketing communications in social networks: problems and prospects]. Vestnik finansovogo universiteta, 2, 130-134.
- Vartanova, E. L. (2003). Mediaekonomika zarubezhnykh stran: ucheb. Posobiye [Media economy of foreign countries: education guidance]. Moscow: Aspect Press.
- Yermolova, N. (2014). Prodvizheniye biznesa v sotsial'nykh setyakh Facebook, Twitter, Google+ [Advance of business on social networks Facebook, Twitter, Google+]. Moscow: Al’pina Publisher.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
About this article
07 August 2019
Print ISBN (optional)
Communication studies, press, journalism, science, technology, society
Cite this article as:
Glebovich, T. A., & Amirov*, V. M. (2019). Promotions Features Of The Internet Newspaper "Znak.Com" In Social Networks. In Z. Marina Viktorovna (Ed.), Journalistic Text in a New Technological Environment: Achievements and Problems, vol 66. European Proceedings of Social and Behavioural Sciences (pp. 686-692). Future Academy. https://doi.org/10.15405/epsbs.2019.08.02.81