Migrant Children’s Social And Cultural Adaptation Within The Framework Of Kazakh Culture
The process of soci- cultural adaptation of migrant children takes place in the condition of cross-border migration from Kazakhstan to the Tyumen region. The preservation of Kazakh culture is provided by the regional public organization - "National and cultural autonomy of the Kazakhs in the Tyumen region" and educational institutions. The model of optional classes presented in the article helps to form cultural and ethno-cultural competence of migrant children based on Kazakh heritage. Cross-border migration from Kazakhstan to the Tyumen region raises a very serious and important problem of socio cultural adaptation of migrant children to a new cultural atmosphere, organized by the socio-cultural and educational institutions. The article presents a case of successful adaptation of migrant children from Kazakh Diaspora with a help of educational institutions of Tyumen.
Keywords: Migrationadaptationthe Tyumen regionKazakhstansocial environmentcultural environment
A national culture is the totality of material and spiritual culture of a people, certain natural conditions, social, and historical processes. As a carrier of national culture, a child belongs to a socio-cultural environment, and by so doing, becomes actively involved in cultural and social relations.
The concept «adaptation» first appeared in biology as the adjustment of an organism to changing external conditions, and later came into usage in cultural studies and sociology. Socio-cultural adaptation is defined as "the process of adaptation of man to different conditions, norms of behavior, and rules of communication, in a new social environment" (A new dictionary of methodological terms and concepts, 2009, 286). The essence of socio-cultural adaptation is in the active inclusion of the individual into existing cultural and social systems, his/her self-cultivation in the process of adopting a new system of values.
According to the all-Russian census of 2002, 18,639 Kazakhs lived in the Tyumen region. In 2010 this number go to 19,146 people. Migrant children should be provided with optimal conditions in the new socio-cultural environment organized by socio-cultural institutions. One can observe the process of socio-cultural adaptation of migrants’ children in the framework of preservation of the Kazakh culture in the Tyumen region.
In 2007, an initiative group of the Kazakh Diaspora created the regional public organization "National and cultural autonomy of the Kazakhs of the Tyumen region" (Law 263, 315). Within the framework of this national and cultural association, a council of elders, board of trustees, and local branches successfully operated for the consolidation of Kazakh society and development of Kazakh culture (Akhtan, 2004).
Important activities of "National and cultural autonomy of the Kazakhs of the Tyumen region" (Altynbekova & Aidarkhanov, 2010) include:
1) keeping the national identity in a multi-ethnic region;
2) aiding victims of natural disasters; ecological, anthropogenic and other catastrophes, social, national and religious conflicts, refugees and internally displaced persons of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
Cross-border migration from Kazakhstan to the Tyumen region (Bortnikova, 2012) raises the problem of socio cultural adaptation of migrant children to a new cultural environment, organised by the socio-cultural and educational institutions.
1. The state program for supporting national and cultural autonomies and public associations in the Tyumen region;
2. Socio-cultural activities of "National and cultural autonomy of the Kazakhs of the Tyumen region” for the preservation of Kazakh culture;
3. The socio-cultural adaptation and intercultural communication of migrant children in educational institutions of the Tyumen region
Purpose of the Study
To consider the best conditions of adapting migrant children to the socio-cultural environment of the Tyumen region on the example of the Kazakh Diaspora.
Method of theoretical analysis;
Method of cultural anthropology.
1. «National and cultural autonomy of the Kazakhs of the Tyumen region» work to develop Kazakh culture (national holidays and traditions, the preservation of the Kazakh language) on the territory of the region;
2. The process of adaptation of migrant children from the Kazakh Diaspora is successfully implemented by educational institutions of the Tyumen region;
3. Optional classes in educational institutions are the best form of students’ artistic and aesthetic development based on the rich cultural heritage of the Kazakh people.
The Kazakhs, who reside throughout the Tyumen region, have become an indigenous ethnic group with their rich national culture. The process of migration of the Kazakh population as a result of reunification with relatives and attractiveness of the Russian educational system continues to this day. The task of educational institutions, cultural centers, and Kazakh public organizations of the Tyumen region is to adapt migrant-children into the developed system of measures, to preserve Kazakh culture and their inclusion into the social and cultural environment.
I express my gratitude for the translation of this article to V.V. Panin, Candidate of Philological Sciences, Assistant Professor at P.P. Yershov Teacher Training Institute, a branch of Tyumen State University
- A new dictionary of methodological terms and concepts (theory and practice of language training). – M.: IKAR publishing house, 2009.- 448 p,
- Akhtan, B. (2004). Common and special features in the rhetorical art of the Kazakh biys, sheshens and zhyrau. Vestnik OGU, No. 6. URL: http://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/obschee-i-osobennoe-v-oratorskom-iskusstve-kazahskih-biev-sheshenov-i-zhyrau (Accessed: 12.04.2017)
- Altynbekova, O.B., Aidarkhanov, B.B. (2010). Characteristic features of migration processes in Kazakhstan and Russian border regions // Language policy and socio-legal aspects of immigrants' adaptation / edited by I.S.Karabulatova. Tyumen: Vector Book, 232.
- Bortnikova, Yu. A. (2012). Some peculiarities of architectural and artistic culture of the Kazakhs of the southern Tyumen region .The artistic life of Ishim and the Ishim area: collected articles. Ishim, 58 – 62.
- Law №263 of the Tyumen region dated 08.02.2001 "On the activities of religious associations in the Tyumen region: the law of the Tyumen region”[Electronic resource] 08.02.2001 N 263// Information Bank "the Tyumen region" - URL: law.admtyumen.ru (accessed 10.05.2016).
- Law №315 of the Tyumen region dated 28.12.2004 “On state support of national-cultural autonomies, other public associations in the Tyumen region: the law of the Tyumen region” [Electronic resource] 28.12.2004 N 315// Information Bank "the Tyumen region" - URL: law.admtyumen.ru (accessed 10.05.2016).
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.
About this article
Cite this paper as:
Click here to view the available options for cite this article.